KernelPop

Friday, April 28, 2006

Numbskull

I may be nothing but a numbskull who pounds a few little ragged ideas out every once and a while. I'm well out on the long tail, and for most puposes I am simply talking to myself. Thankfully, this is not something that I have a problem with.

Umair Haque has nailed it again. A straightforward breakdown of cliche, reality and preference as a demonstration of the constructive and destructive economies of peer content production. The freedom to agglomerate (I love economists), and the peril of dial-up talk radio morons spouting bullshit on all of my niche interests.

In the end, he points out that the whole situation is self-correcting. The people who deliver the most value within any network benefit, and those who don't don't. There is very little incentive for someone who does not care about makeup to keep spouting off on make up sites.

But this leaves me in an odd spot. Maybe I should just take the hint... My posts add no value to any network (thought feedburner tells me I have 6 subscribers). Or maybe I just redefine the network. I love my own bullshit, and have always been content with a lively internal debate. If its not enough to please a network of 1, then it'll never fly far beyond that.

... still think there is a market in facilitating cohesion and network extension. The noise is exteme and growing. There are many thoughtful and meaningful voices out on the tail (in addition to the numbskulls). They may find their niche, or their network of 1, but its getting harder -- not easier -- to find them.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Bert said…

    I dont know what he's talking about. I read this blog all the time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home