KernelPop

Thursday, December 01, 2005

My name is Jim and I am an Internet Junkie.

I am a master of the internet and am drawn by new technology and new ideas daily. Luckily I work at comScore Networks, which gives me the opportunity to surf the web 20 hours a day and get paid for it. Realize, this is like an alcoholic working as a bartender or an addicted gambler working at the racetrack.

I must tell you though, I am Perplexed; I am Over Stimulated; I am Overloaded;

The Internet is Overloaded - Actually, the Internet User is Overloaded…

How do I know? Because I have been surfing the web for 20 years and I am a part of a rapid moving jet… That is not going to slow down. One metric of the rapid expansion of creativity on the web can be seen through the number of buzz words that were introduced into our mass media vocabulary just in the past 18 months…

Some examples of these include:

  • Blogosphere
  • Podcast
  • Wiki
  • RSS Feed
  • Social Networking
  • Micro-Chunking
  • Firefox
  • Roker
  • Skype
  • Alcara
  • Linkroll
  • AdSense
  • VOIP
  • Bubble Generation
  • Flickr
  • Riffs Roll
  • Razr
  • Icerocket
  • Feedster
  • Typepad
  • Trackback

There are over 1,000 of these terms floating around, and they are all new and unique. Consumers are being blasted every time they go online with every type of stimulation possible. There are 100’s of companies out there trying to find the next killer app.

Consumers are exposed daily to…

  • Ad Banners
  • Ad Pops
  • Pop-ups
  • Pop-unders
  • iPops
  • iFrame
  • Flash Frame
  • Flash Ads
  • Flash Roll
  • Roll over
  • Roll under
  • StreamRoll
  • Streaming Media
  • Rich Media
  • Media Mail
  • eMail Spam
  • Spam
  • Spam Spam Spam

There was a new study done that estimated if the recent growth of SPAM over the past 18 months were to continue at a straight line, the average consumer in 2009, for every one actual legitimate email, would receive 248 SPAM emails. Think about the repercussions of that situation.

Now there are many companies out there who are working on solutions for SPAM and every other virus of the web. Most are still very broad stroke solutions.

We actually found that within a given year, almost 30% of all households will reformat their hard-drives on their home PC’s to deal with the many issues with the machine.

Help - I am under water...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home